Thursday, September 16, 2010

How 'bout that Birth Center?

I was planning on giving birth at a birth center which is about 15 mins from our home. Last Thursday, we went to the required informational seminar that basically helps you decide whether or not a birth center delivery is right for you. It was so informative about laboring options and medical interventions. I think Dan is very supportive of me trying to have a natural birth. Anyway, the main reason they do these seminars is because they have wait lists because it's a small facility and they want the moms and their partners to really make sure this is the right thing for them.

So I pretty much love it. I love the rooms. I love the midwives. I love their system. I love it except for the fact that they only keep you and baby for 12 hours after delivery and then you MUST go home. The reason for this is because the categorized as an out patient facility so for insurance reasons you must stay for a minimum of 4 hours and a max of 12 hours. But you're not completely on your own after you go home. A nurse does come to your home a day later to check on you and the baby and then again a week later.

I really want to think I don't need to be there longer than 12 hours. But a part of me really doesn't feel comfortable with the thought of being home so quickly. And what if I give birth at 2:00 PM, does this mean I have to leave at 2 AM???? That seems silly and odd to me. I understand why I can't stay longer but it just seems so rushed. My mom also brought up the point of I will probably want to rest and it would be easier to have the baby taken the nursery for a little while so I can rest up a bit because it will be a while until Dan and I get a good night's sleep. As of now, I do want the baby with me at all times, but who knows how I feel after the baby is born.

I should note, also, if anything were to go wrong (i.e. emergency c-section, hemorrhaging, etc.)... I would be transferred to the hospital which is literally right across the street. Also, anything wrong with baby after delivery, s/he'll go across the street. We would then be under hospital care and the 12 hour rule wouldn't apply.

OK, and the next reason I'm not so sure (and kind of a superficial one, I suppose) is they don't do routine u/s. This includes the big 20 week anatomy scan. They will order one for you if you want, but they don't do it voluntarily because it's not medically necessary. Not the hugest deal, but this is something I am looking forward to.

So I suppose that's my review of the Birth Center. As of now, Dan and I just don't feel like this is the right choice for us for this birth. Quite possibly for our second baby, we will feel confident following this model but with so much apprehension with bringing our first baby into the world, it's just not for us now. I really want it to be but it just doesn't feel right.

This means onto finding the right OB or midwife! I have set up an appointment with the Birth Center in the mean time, in case I change my mind or something convinces me otherwise. I also set up an appointment with the OBGYN I visited right before we moved to our apartment. My first appointment, known as the Confirmation Appointment, is set for Monday, Sept 20.... yes, I will update at some point after... definitely by Tuesday because I have to keep up with my photos! :oP

This practice has 4 or 5 rotating doctors, so whoever is on call that day you go into labor will be your delivering doctor. From what I hear, all the doctors are wonderful. I definitely plan to sit down and talk with one of them (or even all of them) to discuss what I want/ what I don't want for labor and delivery. I feel slightly ridiculous doing this but I want to make sure we're all on the same page. I don't want a drug pusher!

And most importantly.... Dan plans to go to every appointment! I'm really happy about this. I'm glad his work has that kind of flexibility. I think it's important for him to be apart of this experience and this helps to enhance it.

Other than that my symptoms from last week, are about the same... not too much nausea (again it comes in waves), no cramping, sore bb's and nipples, and extreme fatigue an bloating!... but new this week is SCIATICA!!! Oh yeah. It's really not that bad, more annoying than anything. I just plan to drink more water (I'm seriously going to float away before this baby comes out) and hopefully once I go to my appointment, I can get the OK to workout the way I was before. Between those two things, I hope the pain will subside and it wont be such annoyance.

This weekend we are going to Hershey Park on Saturday and the Yankees game on Sunday with my parents and brothers (oh and Dan, too). I'm really looking forward to it ALL. A little bummed I won't be going on any roller coasters but excited about all the fresh chocolate and Twizzlers. I haven't been to a Yankee game in ages, so it's exciting also. It's actually in Baltimore's Camden Yards... but until the Orioles start having winning seasons, it'll be solely called the Yankees game.

No comments:

Post a Comment